Last week, we hosted a prayer experience in which we spent some time praying together for our church, our families, and our cities. We are so grateful for those who committed some time to praying with us – both on our campus and online – but we wanted to share the prayer prompts for those who were unable to make it that day, as well as for those who are interested in continuing to pray these prompts.
Feel free to scroll through the different sections on this blogpost, or if you’d rather follow along with the slides via our YouTube experience, click the video at the bottom.
Thank you for joining us in prayer as we boldly and audaciously ask God to do what only He can do.
“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” 1 John 5:13-15
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church who Experiences Your Love.
“I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.” Ephesians 3:17b-18
- Pray that every person, every friend group, every family that is part of Hillside Community Church would experience God’s transforming love. Pray for specific names and faces.
- Pray that those in our lives that do not yet have a saving relationship with Jesus would be open to the life-changing love of a Savior that laid down His life for us.
- Pray that God’s love would be the foundation of everything we do internally and externally as a church.
Heavenly Father, in a season with so much uncertainty and challenge, please help us to confidently live in Your love. Help us to express Your life-transforming love in every space and moment that we live and breathe!
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church that desires to Grow in Community.
“By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
- Pray that our relationships with others would be built on a foundation of Christ’s love for us.
- Pray that our friendship with others would be salt and light to the world – that it would preserve the goodness in our culture and it would point others to the illuminating love of Jesus.
- Pray that we could be a church that shows the world who Jesus is by how we love and engage one another in meaningful relationships marked by spiritual growth.
Jesus, help me to be a loving presence to this hurting world. We need your Church now more than ever. Teach me to show loving kindness to all so that I am faithful to love others the way you first loved me.
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church that Serves with Compassion.
“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” Matthew 9:36
- Pray that we would care for the needs of those in our church so that everyone who joins in with us will experience hope and transformation.
- Pray that we would see transformation in our cities one story at a time through ministry partnerships and the people we reach.
- Pray that God would cultivate in us a love that extends into the world and daily remind us of our ministry partners who are serving on the frontlines to bring the hope of Jesus to the lost.
Father God, You love me and have called me to love others the way Your son Jesus did. Teach me to serve those around me and in the world. Convict me to care for the church, city, and the world You have commissioned me into.
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church for those who are experiencing loneliness.
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- Seek God in response to the effects of 2020, the pandemic, political climate, and social ramifications that have taken a toll on the mental health of so many people.
- Pray for people that feel more lonely, detached, and disconnected from God and one another than ever before.
Over the course of this year, Lord, I often feel alone. In my mind, I know You say you are with me, but I can’t always feel it. Sometimes, I can be with people and still feel as if I am all alone. Help me in my despair to remember that You are always with me and that I am a part of a global family, The Church.
You created us because You love us and want to be with us. You designed us to need You and others. Help me receive Your loving presence. Help me see when you are moving on my behalf or through some unexpected way. I need reminders, and I need revelations of Your presence with me.
Help me reach out to my community when I am lonely and in need of encouragement. Give me the courage to ask for what I need and the strength to offer the same for others. Heal my heart and mind in the areas that keep me closed off, isolated, or defensive in relationships.
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church that experiences the intimacy of the Shepherd’s care in times of sickness.
“The Lord is my Shepherd… He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul… I will fear no evil, for you are with me… Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life…” Psalm 23
- Pray for personal healing or the healing of someone else who is sick. Lay this illness before the Great Shepherd and surrender it into His competent care. Ask for God’s healing touch, restoration, peace, presence, and comfort.
Loving Shepherd, You are my safe place; my healer and restorer. Quiet and comfort my heart, oh God. I trust that You will remove all things contrary to Your perfect will. Calm my anxiety so that I can rest in You with confidence dependence.
Have mercy on me God, for I am weak. I believe that nothing is impossible for You. Help me battle the isolation that illness and pain can bring. Be my strength when I am running out of hope and resilience.
Lord, as I wait on You, may Your healing mercies be at work in my body and in the bodies of others who are sick. May You grant wisdom to doctors, nurses, and health care workers as they care for us.
God, help guide us as we pray to be a church for renewed love in families.
“Bear with one another and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:13-14
- Pray that any wrongs done out of anger, anxiety or fear with families would be forgiven in His perfect love.
- Pray for courage to make amends and bring unity in the name of Jesus.