A controller must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), have a degree in accounting or finance and at least 5 years of relevant experience. Soft skills like emotional intelligence (i.e. self-awareness, self-management and social awareness) are also critical to success in a church environment.
- Love for God, Scripture, and the Church
- Committed to the Vision, Mission, and Values of Hillside
- Trustworthy / high integrity
- Self-aware / socially aware—i.e. empathetic, organizationally aware & service oriented
- Personable—able to smile and laugh
- Collaborative / innovative / creative / understands impact
- Agile mindset—i.e. able to adapt to change
- Disciplined / proactive / organized / efficient / professional
- Relationally authentic / passion for people to thrive / recognizes growth / inclusive / caring
- Ability to lead and develop leaders, staff, volunteers, teams, and the next generation
- Ensures team is resourced / establishes clear communication and expectation
- Willing to engage in accountable relationships, as well as mentoring relationships
- Communication skills / listens attentively / confident / an active learner
- Can see the work that needs to be done and makes sure it’s done well
- Spiritually mature – e.g. Humility, integrity, self-control, conscientious, adaptable
Foster an overall environment in the business office that is transparent, innovative, trustworthy, flexible, collaborative, relational, organized and efficient, which helps equip staff, ministry partners, and the church as a whole to focus on our collective mission of seeing God’s hope transform our cities one story at a time!
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new systems and processes that facilitate the growth of the church.
- Developing, monitoring and effectively communicating business performance metrics
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions.
- Leading the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate reporting.
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements
- Coordinating activities of external auditors and leading an audit team.
- Providing management with the right information vital to the decision-making process
- Leading and continuously improving the budget process
- Evaluating accounting and internal control systems
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Leading and overseeing regulatory reporting
- Hiring, training, and retaining skilled accounting staff
- Facilitating the management of contracts and business opportunities in the community
- Leading and growing our banking relationships
- Prefer a degree in accounting or finance
- At least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Prefer a master’s degree in business administration (MBA)
- Prefer professional accreditation such as certified public accountant (CPA).
- Consistency and integrity
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication abilities
- The willingness to listen to feedback and use it to improve
- The ability to see projects through to completion
- Self-starter and needs little supervision
A Win Looks Like:
Create and manage a transparent and collaborative business environment, where the right information is provided to the right teams at the right time in format that fits the given audience and facilitates efficient decision-making as we aim to see “God’s hope transform our cities…one story at a time!”.
This position has access to confidential information –personal data, credit cards, medical records, etc.