Position Title: Junior High Ministry Coordinator
Functional Ministry Area(s): Student Ministry
Reports to: Student Ministries Lead Pastor
FLSA Classification: Full Time
Supervises: Junior High Volunteers
Work Schedule: (Office hours Mon-Thur, Sun, 2 nights/week)
Last Update: 11/22/2022
OVERVIEW: A Coordinator at Hillside Community Church is responsible for planning, facilitating, and executing events or activities within an area of ministry. They may also prepare sermons and teach. They will seek to exemplify our core staff values. They are committed to the vision of seeing God’s hope transform our cities one story at a time, and the mission of experiencing God’s love, Growing in Community, and Serving with Compassion.
CORE STAFF VALUES
- Christ-Centered – Love for God, Scripture, and the Church
- Care – Caring Person, Slowing down to check in with one another, living in empathy
- Collaboration – Team player, willing to engage in accountable relationships
- Communication – Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Celebration – Able to smile and laugh
The Junior High Ministry (JHM) Coordinator will perform these functions under the direct oversight of the Student Ministries Lead Pastor.
- Identify, recruit, train and equip and care for JHM Volunteers; intentionally equipping God’s people for service (Eph. 4:12). Assists Lead Pastor with onboarding process.
- Develop an Intentional relationally-focused role with Jr. High students and parents. This includes appropriately spending time with students and parents outside of planned gatherings, clear communication, and availability/flexibility of time within hourly schedule.
- Disciple students through clear presentations of the gospel with opportunities to respond, growth in Christian maturity, and facilitation of serve/missions opportunities.
- Assists with Jr. High Student Leadership, including both admin and discipleship.
- Assists Lead Pastor with shepherding/counseling as needed (scheduling, possibly involved in counseling situations in a supportive role). Will attend the Care 101 class within first year of employment.
- Assists with baptisms as needed (class, baptism weekends).
- (Future) May assist with campus ministry at local schools and events.
Programming (Large Group, Community Groups, Camps)
- Assists in creating a safe, welcoming, fun, and encouraging environment for Jr. High Students. This includes large group gatherings, Community Groups, Volunteer meetings, Student Leadership, evangelism, discipleship, worship, and prayer.
- Ability to teach, and desire to grow in ability to communicate God’s Word to Jr. High students. Collaborates with the Student Ministries team on sermon series and rotates regularly into Jr. High teaching schedule.
- Assists with Community Groups including recruitment, training, volunteer support, and managing the PCO Groups module.
- Assists in planning and leading additional events and trips for JHM including evangelism, outreach to our cities, and global missions support and opportunities. Adjustment of schedule to attend JHM events is expected; including camps, mission trips, and serving opportunities. Hours will be adjusted as needed to accommodate this.
- Assists with JHM planning, calendar and budget with intentional collaboration and communication with other Hillside ministries.
- Communicates schedule and time off clearly with supervisor, HR, and other ministries as needed; using tools such as the PCO calendar, Paycom, and email.
- May be asked to join HSM (High School Ministry) events as needed (camps and mission trips, etc.)
- Actively participates in weekly 1:1’s with Director/Lead Pastor, staff meetings and required office meetings. All commitments outside of Student Ministry must be approved by the Student Ministries Lead Pastor.
- Works in coordination with Next Gen Worship Coordinator and Technical Director for JHM worship and production. Administrates PCO Services, People, Groups, and Calendar for JHM under the direction/supervision of the Lead Pastor.
- Fosters a culture of service with JHM students and parents through projects, student leadership, involvement in our church, and with local and global partners (City/World).
- Works in collaboration with Kids Ministry, Worship/Production, and Serve with Compassion teams to provide opportunities for students to serve and develop their gifts.
- Assists in strategic communication with parents, volunteers, and students. This may include email, photography, video, social media, text, mailings, etc.
- Seeks clear and appropriate communication with staff, volunteers, students and parents.
- Works in collaboration with Kids Ministry and Young Adults to provide intentional transitions for students, and opportunities for serving across ministries.
- Participates in broader responsibilities as needed at Hillside, fostering a spirit of unity and teamwork as we pursue God’s vision for Hillside, our community, and our world.
Education and/or Experience
- Preferred Bible education, or B.A. degree from a Christian College/University
- Minimum 2-3 years in students ministry
- Pay: $20-$24 per hour based on skill level and experience
Required Technical / Other Skills and Abilities
- Computer literate in a variety of programs/platforms needed for ministry (I.E. Planning Center Online, Microsoft/Apple, Google Suite, Social Media)